A transcription of my adventures. Definitely worth a read!!!

Monday, May 18, 2009

GCC Men's Retreat/ I finally had my meal!!!

Hello, Blog World

You know, it's been a while since I've blogged seriously. I've had a few false starts at trying to become more consistent with it, but to no avail. Now, I thinks me got the motivation...so let's go!

FYI

This blog will be used for the purpose of showing the world one of the greatest things you could ever learn about...ME! I'm only...serious :-). But really, I feel like the people around me know me, but don't really know me. People kno
w about me, but very few people know the inner workings that make up Verdell Anthony Wright. And concerning those said workings, I'll probably never just outright tell you. I don't necessarily like blabbing about myself all the time. However, I don't mind writing about myself. I think that I'm a much more articulate writer than speaker (and I do a darn good job at public speaking). I'll do a post that just details what you'll learn about me on the blog.

Tennis Woes


I'm in a tennis league this summer. Unfortunately, I've lost both of my matches. It sucks. I feel like some of my confidence is down. I'll hang in there in the beginning, but once I lose, it's like I lose the will to fight. Gotta correct that.

I play with a one handed backhand. It's my favorite shot to hit. Unfortunately, it's been somewhat MIA this season. I need to find a practice partner. And does anyone want to buy me a n
ew racket?

One thing I do notice though is that I try to do too much. Tennis matches are won, not lost. It doesn't matter how fancy a winner is, it's only worth one point. There are no video cameras recording the action. I'm going to employ Chris's (shout out to my little) tip of four shots in. And take it easy. Make the other person win.

GCC Men's Retreat


This weekend I went on the Men's Retreat with my church, Grace Covenant DC. I wa
s really excited about it. I've been attending the church for over a year, and i recently became a member. I've enjoyed the small groups and the fellowship. However, I didn't feel like I had a connection with the men there.

This weekend changed all that. One of my prayers was that life long relationships would begin to grow as a result of this weekend. I think that is exactly what is happening. And it was worth the uber humid cabin, the thousand men snoring, and the billions of bumblebees!

Highlights of the weekend:

  • Playing ping pong with two of my pastors. That pic you see is of Pastor Jones. His backhand is actually better than his forehand...which i didn't figure out until i was two points away from losing.
  • Playing Egyptian Ratscrew (I didn't know anyone else knew about that game)
  • Showing the Grace Covenant Men how to Pogo (people weren't getting it at first, and they were getting frustrated! I thought I was going to be excommunicated!)

Sayings of the Weekend
-"It smells like someone had a personal experience in here." Sam
-"Well, I'm really not after poetic satisfaction!" Akil
-"God restores the years!" Me, after I got ten cards back in Egyptian Ratscrew
-"I guess bidding your hand is out of the question." Me, while playing spades and the other team constantly underbid.


Church the Next Day

After arriving back from the retreat, I actually went to bed early so that I would be rested for the church the next day. I'm sure that I would've lost some of my reward in heaven if I didn't show up. The message was good, as always.

I decided to join the worship team! I'm excited about that. I think it will fit in the best with my with my schedule in the foreseeable. Had to remind myself of the commitments to school, ANQ, and other stuff. I'm just excited to start serving at the place that I am making my home.

Red Lobster

So, a couple of months ago I had one of the best meals of my life at Red Lobster. Honey BBQ chicken with shrimp and mashed potatoes. I've been fiening to have that meal again, and the chance has escaped me too many times. Sunday, I decided to break that cycle and go for myself. I rounded up the troops and headed over to the Red Lobster in Silver Spring. Now, mind you, this one is slightly hood, but the foo
d is still good. Eric and Christina came and ate with me. Fun times, SP05!!!

Before Cobb came, Eric and I talked about some ANQ business. I still think it's funny discussing stuff with him, because I'm just an open book. He already knows what I'm thinking and feeling...he's just waiting for me to say it. It's rare that you can find someone that you can be great friends with AND work together!

Of course, we had an engaging conversation. It was
about church direction and ministry. One thought provoking question was this: even in the midst of pursuing the simple, is it possible to make it too simple? Do we eliminate vital means of connecting with God when we try to trim things down too much? As much as this generation wants to get down to what's really important, we have to be mindful that we are getting rid of the chaft, not the nutrients.

One thing to really keep in mind is that ministry is two things that the average person may not realize. It's a non-profit organization, and it's a customer service outlet. The best churches are run like businesses. The Founder President of my Fraternity, Doral R. Pulley, says it like this "We
hear God, and we respond by business." The inner working and procedures of a ministry are so vital. Regardless of how successful the transforming of lives is, if the behind the scenes issues aren't addressed then the ministry will fall.

It's customer service because ministry is all about meeting needs. What do the people in the congregation need? Who are they? What is there background? What is needed to bring the fullness of God into their lives? If these issues are ignored, then the people aren't being served. So think about it: is your ministry actually helping people, or is it just you performing your favorite hobby and saying "amen" after you're finished? Hmmm...


Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment